Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 3

The crew witnessed an intruder yesterday. Creaking noises, scuttering...and finally..."Squeak" appears. A tiny, fuzzy brown mouse came to visit us. Dan, who isn't as fond of our little friend, argues that my name for the little guy is not valid, and instead, should be "Snap" because that is the last thing his little ears will hear before he dies. You've guessed it...I woke up to traps and stories of the crew trying to trap him in the airlock. He escaped. Run far, Squeak!

It was an extremely windy morning yesterday, and we watched Dan pace back and forth during breakfast worrying about the state of the wind turbine. It is not completely set up yet, and even with the break on, the blades were spinning so fast we couldn't see them. After breakfast, I sat down with my books and hammered out some outlines. Billy posted some more photos and is working to get Day 3 up as we speak. I gave up after a few chapters and settled down to lunch with the crew. We then decided that we were ready to go into sim, and all headed out the doors of the tin can to say goodbye to our beautiful landscape. While out there, we noticed that one of ATV covers had blown away. In a race to get to it, Billy and Eric set off by foot and Chris and I grabbed an ATV. By the time Chris and I arrived, Billy was already back to the hab with the cover. Fail. After all covers were secured with rocks, we set up the camera in front of the hab and took some great jumping shots. Finally, we headed into the airlock to pressurize. After a minute of pressurization, we stepped into our home for the next 10 days.

Dan figured it was about time that we showed the new crew members how to suit up and let the old crew members refamiliarize. We dressed Jessica and an excitement for EVA's filled the air. Billy started mapping an EVA upstairs while I tackled some senior design and Jessica made some pizza dough and sauce. After some relaxing on all our parts, we each made our own individual pizzas...some bigger than others. I'm pretty sure Billy's could have taken over a small planet. Eric had so much cheese that it started running off the pizza...pretty amusing.

Eric picked the movie "Elf" and we all crowded on the hab floor to watch. Of course, I was out as soon as half the movie was over. Some day I'll make it through one...

Quotes:

"Everyone enjoys a good shake, Chris"-me
"Not babies" -Dan

"She's like a self contained, traveling anecdote"-Dan, about me

"She's like MUFASA!" -Jessica

"And you're blushing about this?"-Jessica
"Yeah, my life is pathetic."-me
"yeaaah..."-Eric

Plans for today:
Find parts for turbine test load
EVA to get used to sim
Sacrifice Snap to win the favor of the postal gods

Yes...my radios are still not here...

Off to the first full day in sim,

Jillian
Crew 93-XO

No comments:

Post a Comment